There is something so elegant about tarts that takes my breath away. They are dainty and beautiful. In their pretty little way, they pack in so many different textures and flavours. And they are ALWAYS such a treat! ❤
Yeah, I’m talking about these Choco-Strawberry Tarts!
But there’s a myth out there about tarts that needs serious busting. I’ve heard so many people whine about how hard making a tart or pie is. That’s so not true! Yes, a tart or pie definitely requires you to work on multiple elements – the pastry, the filling and the topping. But none of it is particularly difficult. If making a tart or pie fascinates you, go for it! And if you goof up a li’l, try again! Here’s a thought – if I, an amateur baker with zero training, can bake tarts, I think it’s safe to say it’s doable.
Since my first attempt at baking a Strawberry Custard Tart almost two years ago, I’ve done my fair bit of tart baking and tasting. I even had a whole ‘tart phase’ (yeap, I can be a baking nerd!); the boyfriend would drive me around and we’d go taste tarts from different cafes. We ate Walnut Tarts, the delicious Creme Brulee Tart at Paul, ones filled with Pecan Praline and many more topped high with berries. But fruity tarts have long since stolen my heart, and nothing can change that! 🙂
So, here’s my foolproof recipe for an easy-peasy Choco-Strawberry Tart that combines the goodness of buttery Shortbread Pastry, velvety Chocolate Ganache and beautiful fresh Strawberries! 😀
Here’s what you need:
For the Shortbread Pastry:
- All Purpose Flour – 1 cup
- Salted Butter – 113 g, cold and cubed
- Icing Sugar – 35 g
For the Chocolate Ganache:
- Dark Chocolate – 250 g, chopped coarsely
- Cream – 3/4 cup
- Butter – 2 tbsp
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
For the Topping:
- Fresh Strawberries – 500 g, hulled and sliced
Here’s how you make these beautiful Choco-Strawberry Tarts:
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius. In a large bowl, sift in the flour and icing sugar. Add in the butter and using your hands, knead the mixture till it attains a crumbly, sandy consistency. Then press the dough into generously greased mini-tart moulds.
- Prick the pastry with a fork, cover with cling wrap and pop it into the freezer for 15 minutes. Then bake the shortbread tart crusts for 8 to 10 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius, until they are light golden and crisped up. Leave to cool.
- When the the tart shells are baking, bring the cream and butter to a slow boil for the Chocolate Ganache. When bubbles begin appearing at the edges, take it off the heat and pour it over the chopped chocolate. After a minute or two, slowly fold the ganache till it is well incorporated, glossy and luscious. Add in the vanilla extract and give it a final mix. Leave to cool.
- When both the tart shells and the chocolate ganache have cooled through, pour the ganache into the tart shells and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Then lay out the sliced strawberries over the ganache in a pattern of your choice and refrigerate for an hour. Serve chilled.
These beauties are as delectable as they are stunning. And every bite packs in an array of textures and flavours that dance a graceful waltz on your taste buds as you slowly teleport to sweet paradise. The buttery, crispy perfection of the Shortbread Crust forms the perfect base for the rich and velvety Chocolate Ganache. And all that richness is cut through with the acidity and freshness of those ruby-red Strawberries! Just the right amounts of sweet, sour, fruity and chocolaty! 🙂
If you’re not a huge fan of chocolate, don’t shy away from giving this recipe a try. I’m not a fan of chocolate either and I absolutely loved this dessert. The Strawberries really do complement all that chocolate and save these tarts from being an unpleasant chocolaty overload. And if you are a chocolate fan, well, the whole tart is filled with Chocolate Ganache; need I say more? 😛
The boyfriend LOVED these mini-tarts. Even days later, he kept snooping in the fridge, just in case I had hidden away my share! 😛 The brother absolutely loved these too and said desserts like these can make me rich someday! (I WISH!) 😀
You really must try your hand at these Choco-Strawberry Tarts! Not just because they are super easy to make, but also because if you don’t, you’ll be missing out on one of life’s simplest pleasures! Go on, you can thank me later! 😉