These Mini Cherry Galettes are the perfect treat for all you home chefs and bakers who’d rather cook up a storm raging with delicious flavours than spend hours having something look restaurant worthy! Don’t get me wrong, I love making desserts that look super pretty. But some days, I just want good ol’ sweet, fruity, pastry-perfect dessert that doesn’t require too much effort. Dessert that can be prepared relatively quickly; dessert that doesn’t leave a tonne of dishes for me to clean up later! 😛 And these Mini Cherry Galettes tick all those boxes! 🙂
Every summer, cherries would make their grand entrance into our home in all their ruby red glory. Only to disappear in less than a day. And that would be dad’s cue to pick up another kilo! 😛 For breakfast, after meals and every time I walked across the kitchen, I’d feast on a handful of fleshy cherries and be on my happy way – a habit that hasn’t died down since! However, I never got around to baking with cherries. Probably because they never lasted long enough to be experimented with! 😉
Let me tell you what I love about these Mini Cherry Galettes. For starters, the pastry is spot on! It is crispy, crackly and just buttery enough. YUM! Secondly, it is a free form version of a pie that doesn’t require a lot of finesse to put together. (No pressing into a tart tin or weaving. We’ll save that jazz for another day!) Also, they are a great size. Perfect as both a dessert and a snack. And the best bit, they are filled with fresh cherries and macadamia nuts! Totally my kind of heaven. ❤
Here’s what you’ll need:
For the Galette Dough:
- All Purpose Flour – 1 and 1/2 cups
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Butter – 113 g, cold and cubed
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Ice Water – 1/4 cup
For the Macadamia Filling:
- Macadamia Nuts – 250 g, coarsely chopped
- Brown Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Vanilla Extract – 1/4 tsp
For the Cherry Filling:
- Fresh Cherries – 500 g, pitted and halved
- Caster Sugar – 2 tbsp
- Corn Flour – 1 tbsp
- Juice of half a lemon
For the Egg Wash:
- Egg – 1, beaten
- Brown Sugar – for sprinkling
Here’s how you make these beautiful Mini Cherry Galettes:
- The Galette Dough: In a mixer-grinder or food processor, blitz the all purpose flour, sugar, butter and vanilla extract till it comes together in clumps. Add in the ice water and give it a final blitz. The dough should come together easily, but should not be overly wet or sticky. Pull the dough out onto plastic wrap and divide into four portions. Cover each portion with plastic wrap and pop them into the refrigerator for an hour.
- The Macadamia Filling: While the dough is resting in the refrigerator, give the chopped macadamia nuts, brown sugar and vanilla extract a quick mix. Set aside.
- The Cherry Filling: Mix the sugar and corn flour well before adding it to the halved cherries. Add the lemon juice and give the cherry filling a good mix. Pop into the refrigerator.
- Assemble the Galettes: Preheat your oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Pull the dough out onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper and begin rolling out each portion into discs. (You could just press the dough into discs with your hands if you’d like, I did it that way!) 😉 Spoon some of the macadamia filling into the center of the pastry disc and top it with the cherry filling. Roughly fold the sides over to get a rustic looking mini galette.
- Glaze the pastry with egg wash and sprinkle some brown sugar on it. Bake for 35 minutes or until the pastry is crispy, beautifully golden and glossy! Once they are baked through, cool the galettes on a wire rack before serving.
I love how fantastic these Mini Cherry Galettes turned out. They were crackly and golden on the outside and gooey and sticky where the juices from the cherries had seeped. The macadamia nuts brought a wonderful crunch, and a warmth that made these galettes particularly moreish. And the cherries – both sweet and sour – lent that much-needed zesty punch that cuts through all the sweetness! 😀 Perfectly balanced flavours!
I made a small batch of these galettes since it was my first attempt, and sure enough, we couldn’t get enough! I stuffed two mini galettes with some chopped dark chocolate for my chocolate-addict boyfriend and he was ecstatic! So much so, that it took every bit of his energy to restrain himself from scarfing down a mini chocolate galette before dinner. (“There won’t be any dessert for you after dinner, baby,” is a very effective tool! Try it, ladies!) 😛
If you’re aching for a quick and cheap dessert that isn’t too complicated but tastes like the fantastic sweet treats available at fancy French patisseries, this is as close as it gets! 😉 Give it a shot, you will love it! 😀
- You can stuff these mini galettes with any filling of your choice. Chocolate, fresh berries, apple and cinnamon, peaches and nectarines, dry fruits and nuts – the possibilities are endless. Just be sure to adjust the sugar in the galette dough depending on the sweetness of the filling. 🙂
- If you’d like a completely egg-less version of this recipe, you can substitute egg-wash with fresh cream.