This World Chocolate Day (July 7), indulge in these rich, dark, decadent Bailey’s Chocolate Muffins!
I have a confession to make, I’m not a chocoholic. Though I appreciate, and often indulge in chocolicious confections, my world doesn’t revolve around chocolate. (Yes, I did just say that out loud!) But don’t lose heart! Please read on, it gets good, I promise! ❤
The reason I’m not crazy about Chocolate, is because I feel the dessert scene today sometimes overworks it. To really make a dessert – or chocolate bar- shine, it takes precise understanding of the depth of chocolate, it’s intensity, texture and flavour pairings. That’s the right way to maintain the beauty of chocolate; probably why artisan chocolates are really catching on! But if you look around, there are far too many options of chocolate overload desserts – for example, a double chocolate brownie, topped with chocolate ice cream, crushed chocolate cookies, chocolate covered raisins, and finished with a luscious chocolate fudge sauce!?!?! (Stop it already, someone’s going to OD on chocolate!) A couple of bites in, and the insides of my mouth are coated in chocolate, my taste buds are numb and my stomach won’t have it! This has ruined chocolate for me. 😦
To really bring out chocolate’s star quality, it needs a trusty companion, maybe a flavour combination that will lift it; nuts for some much needed crunch; or some spice for a kick! I love me some chocolate & berries, chocolate & orange, chilli chocolate, and some sprinkle-y goodness. In this case, there’s some Bailey’s in there, for a warm, boooooozy hit! 😉
I’ve been baking chocolate cupcakes, muffins and cakes with cocoa so far in, but somewhere I felt that the addition of melted chocolate would go further in bringing out true, indulgent chocolatey flavour. So, with inspiration from Marcia Kiesel’s recipe for Mom’s Chocolate Cake on Food & Wine, and several tries to get it right, I finally feel the recipe is just perfect to share with you! 🙂
Here’s what you need to make these Bailey’s Chocolate Muffins:
- All Purpose Flour – 225 g
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Brown Sugar – 170 g
- Dark Chocolate – 60 g, chopped
- Unsalted Butter – 50 g
- Eggs – 1
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
- Bailey’s Irish Cream – 4 tbsp
- Dark Chocolate Chips – 100 g
Here’s how you make these Bailey’s Chocolate Muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 176 °C and line the muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a heavy bottom pan, bring brown sugar to a boil with 1 cup of water. Once all the sugar dissolves, pour the sugar syrup over the chopped chocolate and butter and let it sit for a few minutes. Then fold slowly until the chocolate and butter have melted completely.
- With a fork, lightly beat the egg, and then pour it into the chocolate mixture while stirring continuously.
- Add in the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and fold until well incorporated. Stir half the quantity of chocolate chips into the batter. Add in the vanilla and Bailey’s Irish Cream and give the batter a final mix.
- Then, using an ice cream scoop, divide the batter among the muffin liners. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips onto the tops of the muffins and slightly press them into the batter. Pop them into the oven for 15-18 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the muffins comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
Admittedly, there’s more chocolate in these muffins than I would generally prefer, but trust me, these are beyond perfect! The sponge is airy and light while the crumb is tender and gooey. Take a bite, and I guarantee you’ll feel weak in your knees, as you drift into luxurious, indulgent chocolate heaven. And while you’re at it, the aromatic notes of Bailey’s Irish Cream, keep you swaying to your chocolate-y tune, while the boozy splash ties the experience together with a flourish! Yeap, these muffins are THAT dreaammyyyy! ❤
So, you see, whether you’re a chocoholic or not, doesn’t matter. 🙂 This recipe is for all dessert lovers alike; those who can handle the chocolate overload, and those who need that little something to take a chocolate dessert to a whole new level! It’s World Chocolate Day, and incidentally Friday! So, start the weekend off on the right note with these Bailey’s Chocolate Muffins – booze, chocolate, and all! 😛 (You know you want to and I know you deserve it!)
For more regular updates on what’s happening in The Foodscape kitchen, follow us on Instagram at @thefoodscape! You’ll love all the yummies on there, I promise! ❤