A fresh, hot and flavourful summer dinner is served – Spicy Chicken Pita Wraps, anyone?
I’m a pretty lazy cook. When baking I tend to have more patience and allow myself the pleasure of executing something elaborate. But when it comes to regular, day-to-day cooking, I simply need food to come together quickly, and to that end, I will fast track pretty much every step in the cooking process.
For example, I will add a pinch of salt in with the onions when I want them to caramelize quickly. I will grate a carrot for a salad instead of chopping it because that’s a fraction of a second swifter. Or when roasting spices for a curry, I won’t do them one by one, I’ll dump them all in a large pan together, roast them off, and blitz them even before they’ve cooled down! 😛
That’s probably why I love sandwiches (like this pulled chicken number that is crazy good!) and these Spicy Chicken Pita Wraps! Scrumptious, hearty, nutritious meals in a jiffy!
I love how effortlessly these wraps come together. Now, you’re probably wondering, ‘What’s effortless about making Pita from scratch?’. Making Pita takes time, but doesn’t require a lot of effort. All you’ve got to do is knead the dough, let it rise and roll it out into discs before the oven works its magic! Of course, you can make them ahead and freeze them, or eliminate making them completely by picking some up on your next grocery run. (Yes, I just said that. Don’t tell on me! 😛 )
The rest is pretty simple. Cubed chicken tossed in a spicy marinade, threaded with a skewer and pan roasted. A bunch of lettuce torn and tomatoes chopped. And some hand-whipped yogurt, seasoned with cumin and minced garlic for that refreshing creaminess that ties it all together. Sounds like the perfect weeknight meal, am I right, or am I right? 😉
Hey there, thanks for stopping by. ❤ Just a tiny request, the Saveur Blog Awards 2018 nominations are open till July 25th and if you feel I deserve it, please nominate The Foodscape in whichever category you think is the perfect fit. It’s the BIGGEST honour in food blogging, you guys! It would mean the world to me. ❤ Here’s a direct link!
Here’s what you need:
For the Chicken:
- Boneless Chicken Breasts – 500 g, cut into 1 inch cubes
- Garlic – 3 cloves, minced
- Red Chilli Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Ground Cayenne Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Ground Pepper – 1/8 tsp
- Ground Cumin – 1/2 tsp
- Dried Oregano – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
- Juice of half a large lemon
For the Pitas:
- Whole Wheat Flour – 210 g
- All Purpose Flour – 130 g
- Lukewarm Water – 1 cup
- Active Dry Yeast – 2 tsp
- Honey – 1 tbsp
- Olive Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 1.5 tsp
For the Yogurt Sauce:
- Greek Yogurt – 200 g
- Lemon Juice – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 1 clove, minced
- Ground Cumin – 1/2 tsp
- Pepper – to taste
- Salt – to taste
- Lettuce – a handful, roughly torn
- Tomatoes – 2, sliced
Here’s how you make these lip-smacking Spicy Chicken Pita Wraps:
- Marinate the Chicken: To marinate the chicken, mix together the ground spices, oregano, lemon juice, garlic and salt. Add olive oil and mix till well combined. Pour the marinade over the cubed chicken, massage it in, cover and leave aside.
- For the Pita dough: In a large bowl, add yeast and honey to the lukewarm water and leave aside for 5 minutes. Add in the flours, olive oil and salt and mix by hand till it all comes together.
- Knead the Dough: Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and knead for 5-6 minutes. At this point the dough will be soft, smooth and elastic. Shape the dough into a ball and place in an oiled bowl, cover and set aside to rise for 1 hour.
- Bake the Pitas: Preheat the oven to 230 ºC/ 446 ºF. Once the dough has risen, gently press it down and divide it into 8 equal portions. Roll each portion out into circles and place on a hot baking sheet for 4 minutes each in the oven.
- For the Yogurt Sauce: Mix the Greek yogurt, garlic, cumin, lemon juice, salt and pepper well. Refrigerate until using.
- Cook the Chicken: Thread the chicken with bamboo skewers and place on a hot pan to cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Assemble the Chicken Pita Wraps: Place lettuce and tomatoes on the pita, and top with pan roasted chicken. Drizzle some Yogurt Sauce over it, roll the pita and serve immediately.
The first time I made these Spicy Chicken Pita Wraps, the intention was purely to recreate something akin to a shawarma (popular Middle Eastern street food of thin cuts of meat wrapped in khubz or pita bread). Living in Mumbai meant that we were always left in want of this moreish Arab treat that was so easily available to us in every nook and cranny of our childhoods spent in Muscat, Oman.
Soft, cloud-like pitas filled with succulent, hot chicken, with veggies bringing freshness and brightness, and a punchy yogurt sauce that is cool and refreshing. Take a bite, and you’ll quickly experience an array of flavours – zesty lemon, heat from the cayenne and chilli, peppery notes, sweet and sour bursts of tomato and the earthiness of cumin and oregano.
In the process of recreating this delicacy from memory, I ended up healthifying it, if only by the slightest bit. Out with the usual mayo dressing, and in with a light, silky yogurt sauce that is to die for. And I added a smidgen of fresh veggies, that don’t just brighten up the dish, but also elevate the flavours of the meat. Win win!
Whether you’re dreading cooking dinner after a tiring day at work, or you wish to pack a lunch for a workday or a road trip, these Spicy Chicken Pita Wraps will come to your rescue if you’ll let them. For dinner, warm frozen pitas in the microwave while the chicken cooks on the pan. Chop the veggies. Add the seasonings to the yogurt and mix. Assemble and eat! To pack for a lunch or snack, put the sauce in a little jar, and place the pitas, cooked chicken and veggies in separate boxes. When you’re ready to eat, fill the pita wraps, pour the sauce over and dig in!
What are you waiting for? Make these wraps already. They’re lifesavers! ❤
Want to Pin This recipe for later? Here you go…
Also, here’s that link to the Saveur Blog Awards 2018 nomination form, again. I would really appreciate if you would be so kind as to nominate The Foodscape. 🙂
Psst… If you’d like to, you could come check me out on Pinterest! I pin a tonne of fun stuff – chocolate, lots of dessert, easy weeknight recipes; and home decor (I’m obsessed with boho chic living rooms!)😛
Also, for regular updates on what’s happening in The Foodscape kitchen, follow me on Instagram at @thefoodscape! You’ll love all the deliciousness there, I promise! ❤