A tender crumb, tonnes of flavour and divine dark chocolate chips make this Eggless Chocolate Chip Banana Bread a winner!
Today I learned a new Hindi word – ‘sust‘. It means ‘lazy’ or ‘tired’. A close friend and Hindi expert included it in a text conversation, to which I replied, ‘Sust ka matlab?’ (what does sust mean?) ‘Lazy,’ came her response. And though this recipe was scheduled for a later date, the word inspired me to have a go at it today.
If there is one thing I hate about having our own space, it’s thinking about what to make for breakfast the next day. This is one of those things I detest about adulting. The thought of cooking breakfast first thing when I wake up makes me feel lazy and grumpy. In other words, it makes me feel ‘sust’. And so, if I can pre-make breakfast, I’m a trooper. Which is where this Eggless Chocolate Chip Banana Bread comes in. But really, who doesn’t love Banana Bread for breakfast?
Since the COVID-19 pandemic took a hold on the world, our grocery runs are fewer and far between. Which has gotten me trying to cook and bake with fewer ingredients so I can put off going to the shop for a few more days. That’s why I decided to trial an Eggless Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe (and saved the eggs to make a quick and delicious egg curry!) I was skeptical, because I LOVE my go-to Banana Bread, but I’m so glad I did. I don’t like to compare my Banana Bread recipes, but if I had to choose a favourite, it would be this one. (It’s our little secret!)
Here’s what you need:
- Overripe Bananas – 6, small
- Vegetable Oil – 50 ml
- Honey – 80 ml
- Yogurt – 180 g
- Milk – 55 ml
- Vanilla Extract – 2 tsp
- Whole Wheat Flour – 255 g
- Baking Soda – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Ground Cinnamon – 1 & 1/2 tsp
- Walnuts – 50 g, roughly chopped
- Dark Chocolate Chips – 50 g
Here’s how to make this mouthwatering Eggless Chocolate Chip Banana Bread:
- Preheat the oven to 170 °C/ 338 °F. Line a standard loaf tin with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a fork to mash the bananas to a pulp. Pour in the vegetable oil, honey, yogurt, milk and vanilla extract. Mix well until incorporated. Sift in the whole wheat flour, baking soda, salt and ground cinnamon. Beat the batter with a whisk until it comes together, then tip in the chopped walnuts and dark chocolate chips.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf tin, and bake for 60 minutes. If at any point you worry that the top of the loaf is caramelising too much and may burn, place a sheet of parchment paper over it. Once the hour is up, turn off the oven and leave the banana bread inside for 20 minutes. Then leave on the counter to cool completely before slicing in.
- Store: Store the banana bread in an airtight container at room temperature for a day, then transfer it into the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Serve: Once chilled, microwave the banana bread for 40-50 seconds and eat slightly warm.
What makes this Eggless Chocolate Chip Banana Bread special? And why should you bake this, instead of the 100s of others on the internet?
- Flavour: The warm flavours of a banana bread are classic, and yet, there is so much going on in this particular recipe. There’s the sweetness of the bananas, complemented by the warmth of the honey and the depth of dark chocolate. The yogurt gives the bread a subtle air of tang, while the whole wheat flour brings an earthy nuttiness to the banana bread. The cinnamon brings all the feels, and the hint of bitterness from the walnuts rounds it all off amazingly!
- Texture: This Eggless Chocolate Chip Banana Bread has the BEST crumb! Not too gooey and not too bread-y, the crumb is nicely separated; not dense, and yet melts in the mouth. The walnuts add a lovely crunch, while the pockets of chocolate are oozing and lush like velvet.
- Wholesome: This recipe is healthier than most. Sweetened only with honey and bananas and swapping butter for vegetable oil lightens the recipe considerably. And the whole wheat flour doesn’t just add oodles of flavour but also brings tonnes of wholesome goodness.
- Eggless: I get asked for eggless recipes or egg substitutes all the time, so here you go.
- One Bowl Recipe: No one loves having to tackle a sink-load of dishes, so this recipe eliminates the need for a million little bowls, spoons and attachments. Just a large bowl, a smaller one to weight out ingredients and a whisk is all you need!
- Breakfast Delight: If you, like me, would like a break from having to make breakfast, make this ahead, and you can squeeze in 10-20 extra minutes of sleep in the morning. Also, your kiddies will love you for this chocolicious morning treat!
Other pre-made breakfast recipes you absolutely must-try are – these fabulous Cinnamon Rolls (or these Turkey & Cheese rolls if a sweet breakfast is not your thing), beautiful golden Chocolate Swirl Buns, this super healthy Cherry Chia Pudding and my all-time favourite Baked Strawberry Oatmeal!
I hope this Eggless Chocolate Chip Banana Bread sweetens your days during this terrifying time. Hang in there, you! Stay healthy and safe. Until next time… ❤